The Escape Artist Book Blog

Books are my escape...I need it. My life is super busy between working full time, being a mom of 2 super social kids, a traveling husband, and an annoying habit of not being able to say "No".

theescapeartist

The Prince Who Loved Me

The Prince Who Loved Me - Karen Hawkins

The Prince Who Loved Me

A handsome, rakish prince who doesn't believe in true love meets a stubborn lass who will settle for nothing less...

In a lighthearted retelling of a classic fairy tale, bestselling author Karen Hawkins gives Cinderella a Scottish twist!

Prince Alexsey Romanovin enjoys his carefree life, flirting—and more—with every lovely lady who crosses his path. But when the interfering Grand Duchess Natasha decides it's time for her grandson to wed, Alexsey finds himself in Scotland, determined to foil her plans. Brainy, bookish, and bespectacled, Bronwyn Murdoch seems the perfect answer—she isn't at all to the duchess' taste.

Living at the beck and call of her ambitious stepmother and social butterfly stepsisters, Bronwyn has little time for a handsome flirt—no matter how intoxicating his kisses are. After all, no spoiled, arrogant prince would be seriously interested in a firm-minded female like herself. So . . . wouldn't it be fun to turn his "game" upside down and prove that an ordinary woman can bring a prince to his knees?

This is a new to me author and I enjoyed reading this story. I didn’t really get the whole “Cinderella” theme until the very end which was silly of me. I didn’t read the description of the book before and thought it funny some of the similarities to Cinderella not thinking it was by design.

We are introduced immediately to Alexsey and Bronwyn and one thing is for sure, Alexsey is an irrestible hero. Didn’t hurt that I pictured David Gandy as Alexsey – mamasita!

Bronwyn is a sweet, bookish, independently-minded, and considerate heroine. She is the oldest with two stepsisters who are very likeable. Bronwyn wasn’t interested in a season and does not like social situations. She prefers to be by herself with a good book, which is how she comes to meet Alexsey.

It is hard to see Alexsey’s attraction to her though. He explains, many times, that she is “intriguing”. He explains this many times, to many people, as I’m not the only one who has a hard time seeing the attraction. But, there is an attraction between them that cannot keep him away. I liked that he defied social convention and his grand-aunt, a duchess, to visit her and see her. He was a very strong and determined character and used to getting his way.

There’s a plot theme with Brownyn trying to foil plans she overhears him making regarding their relationship. It is funny how she implements this plan and at first it seems like it is not going to work but Alexsey is so smitten with her that she can be an idiot and he is still attracted to her.

The characters in this book, and there are many, are likeable and fairly interesting. The only one I didn’t care for was the step-mother, but as step-mothers go she was very tame. And as I discovered, this was a Cinderella story!

Overall a light, fun, sweet, sexy read and I will be reading more of Karen Hawkins.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC.