The Escape Artist Book Blog

Books are my escape...I need it. My life is super busy between working full time, being a mom of 2 super social kids, a traveling husband, and an annoying habit of not being able to say "No".

theescapeartist

Sebastian's Lady Spy

Sebastian's Lady Spy (Secrets & Seduction Book 5) - Sharon Cullen

Sebastian Addison has a powerful secret. To society he is the Earl of Claybrook, the patriarch who raised his siblings after the death of their parents. But to the king, Sebastian is Britain’s top spy—a position that has taken an emotional toll on him. Contessa Gabrielle Marciano has also been living a lie, her title a cover devised by the Office of Intelligence. The femme fatale was plucked from a life of crime and prostitution and trained to restrain her passionate nature. Until she meets the earl.

For three deeply sensual days and nights, Sebastian and Gabrielle drop their masks, indulging in pleasures that seem too good to be true. Then the lovers go their separate ways. Seven months later they reunite when inside sources report that an English aristocrat has been aiding France in a plot to topple the Crown. Their objective: to find the turncoat. Their greatest challenge: to keep their wild, wounded hearts from derailing a mission of life and death.

This is a new to me author and I had not read the previous books. It didn’t seem to be a problem until maybe mid-way when I thought maybe some additional history on Sebastian would have helped a bit when his experience in raising his siblings is referenced. In any case, this story sounded intriguing given the spy-nature of it. The story started off well with the three days and nights spent by Sebastian and Gabrielle and then their reunion at the Office of the Intelligence.

The book kind of stalls in the middle though. For some reason, Sebastian is stuck on the unfairness of Gabrielle’s situation when she really had no choice in the matter and she repeatedly tells him that she is grateful. While Sebastian drowns himself in whiskey, Gabrielle takes care of business and then continues to do so when Sebastian is captured. As the story progressed, Sebastian just continues to be depicted as a whiny wuss. It would have been so much better if he could have worked with Gabrielle instead of trying to shield and protect her and do things on his own and by default, Gabrielle on her own. I understand that was his nature and life by circumstance, but for work one would think he would put his nature aside.

Overall, this book was ok.

Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.