The Escape Artist Book Blog

Books are my escape...I need it. My life is super busy between working full time, being a mom of 2 super social kids, a traveling husband, and an annoying habit of not being able to say "No".

theescapeartist

The Book Thief

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak

Well this book was absolutely heartwrenching...but so good.  I wasn't sure in the beginning as I haven't read literary fiction in a while and I like to avoid depressing books, but I got sucked in and couldn't put it down.  I really like Zusak's writing - he did a LOT of foreshadowing but it worked for me as I am the reader that has to skim ahead otherwise I read so fast that I have to go back and re-read the book.

I keep changing my review.  I rated it 3 stars initially because I was left shell shocked at the end of the book.  I was disappointed at first because I expected a little more information or at least the same pattern of describing everything in detail and that was not the case.  Sometimes I think it's because writers want to be done at page 302 and no more, but here I don't think that was it but not sure what it was.  It was anti-climatic though to have everything lead up to what had been foreshadowed and then to have it be summed up in a few pages.  But since then, I've been able to process.  I have accepted the outcome.  I am okay.

Despite the quickly wrapped up ending, I do recommend this book.  It had a great account of a German's perspective of the war and what German's were faced with if they did not worship the Fuhrer.  The stories of Liesel and her dad, Liesel and Rudy, and Max were endearing in the extreme and kept me wanting more.  I only read this as it was a Book Club book yet I'm so happy that I did.  It helped to talk about it too as it is too rich to leave you unaffected.