The Escape Artist Book Blog

Books are my escape...I need it. My life is super busy between working full time, being a mom of 2 super social kids, a traveling husband, and an annoying habit of not being able to say "No".

theescapeartist

Fool Me Twice / That Scadalous Summer - Rules for the Reckless

Fool Me Twice - Meredith Duran That Scandalous Summer - Meredith Duran

This is the 2nd book in the Rules of the Reckless series of Meredith Duran's, the 0.5 being Your Wicked Heart (novella) and the first being That Scandalous Summer.  I received this book from Netgalley and decided I should read the first two books...well the novella was a complete waste as only a couple of names are mentioned in Fool Me Twice.  It was fine, but really not something I would recommend reading before you die.  However, That Scandalous Summer was well worth reading.  I thoroughly enjoyed it and loved the relationship that developed between Elizabeth and Michael.  They had a steamy attraction and the "can't be together" angst that was heart wrenching. I loved it!  Elizabeth was such a strong heroine too that she is up there now on the list of top heroines.

(show spoiler)

Little did I know that Elizabeth's secretary would be the heroine in Fool Me Twice.  Olivia is on a mission and finds herself in Alastair's, Michael's depressed twin, employ.  He has found himself in deep, deep melancholy over his deceased wife's deception.  Olivia has plans.  Olivia is also super strong and Alastair is just as strong.  They are kind of lost souls but where Olivia has channeled her strife into strength, Alastair has retreated into himself.  He seems to study her like a scientist who's discovered a brand new species - he wants to understand what makes her tick.  He takes her on as a project while wanting to dominate her and squash her like a bug - take her down a couple notches.Of course, that doesn't work at all.  It does seem rather improbable that they will end up together...but they do find happiness after all.

I liked Michael and Elizabeth's story better than this one, however this one is good. I am a huge (new) Meredith Duran fan and look forward to reaching more of her books.