The Escape Artist Book Blog

Books are my escape...I need it. My life is super busy between working full time, being a mom of 2 super social kids, a traveling husband, and an annoying habit of not being able to say "No".

theescapeartist

I Married the Duke: Great Start to a New Series

I Married the Duke - Katharine Ashe

Katharine Ashe is quickly becoming one of my go-to authors. She has captivated me again with this rich novel of a desperate, brave and guarded woman on a quest to seek answers who encounters a demanding piratical merchant ship captain/former navy captain/aristocrat. They are drawn to each other yet have deep seated secrets and go through twists and turns that not only involve outside forces but their own internal struggles.

One of my favorite quotes:
"He released her and she regained a trace of the composure she had practiced so diligently until meeting Luc Westfall caused her to throw it all to the wind. She knew she should still be angry and hurt and stalwart in defending the walls around her heart. But those walls had long since crumbled. She could only stand atop their ruins and hope the invader was merciful." - Arabella Caufield, Chapter 15

I could not put this book down and then thought about it when I did. I was literally shocked about a third of the way through and wondering how in the world this story was going to turn out. I could not see ahead even 2 chapters away from the end. I think it takes a smart writer to pull one over on me as I'm a jaded one. I can always figure things out and if not, can't wait to so I skip ahead (I'm terrible at Christmastime as you can imagine). I skipped very little with this one if only so I could savor the story that much more. I highly recommend and I'm onto the next one in the series, "I Adored a Lord". Can't wait!

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/966357348