The Escape Artist Book Blog

Books are my escape...I need it. My life is super busy between working full time, being a mom of 2 super social kids, a traveling husband, and an annoying habit of not being able to say "No".

theescapeartist

I Adored "I Adored a Lord"

I Adored a Lord - Katharine Ashe

When a stolen kiss in a stable leads to a corpse in a suit of armor, a canine kidnapping, and any number of scandalous liaisons, Ravenna and Vitor find themselves wrapped in a mystery they're perfectly paired to solve. But as for the mysteries of love and sex, Vitor's not about to let Ravenna escape until he's gotten what he desires . . .

Due to a prophecy given to her sister (in Book 1, “I Married a Prince”), one of Ravenna’s three sisters is to marry a Prince and when they do, they will find out who their family really is. Since Ravenna’s sister, Arabella, didn’t marry a Prince, Arabella puts her hopes on Ravenna and hence her attendance at this house party which is really a matchmaking party for Prince Sebastiao, Vitor’s half brother. Ravenna is astonishingly allowed to participate in this house party even though she is not really a lady, but rather, tends to the animals of two aging Lords who are attending the party. Her wit and lack of airs is a refreshing element to the house party and she can’t help but attract notice for this and her exotic, foreign looks.

Vitor stumbles upon her the first night and steals a kiss from Ravenna, after being celibate for 2 years after the war. Being the Prince’s half brother, he is there to make sure everything goes according to plan despite the cast of characters that are attending this party! Nobody is really likeable except maybe Iona and Ann, whom befriend Ravenna.

When the murder occurs, Ravenna attaches herself to Vitor and is very determined to figure out what happened. Their attraction is obvious but not acted upon in any major way. I love the banter and friendship that develops between them which lends more credibility to them “falling in love” with each other. I hate it when after 2 days, the h/h “fall in love” – this is so unbelievable I can’t help but roll my eyes. Even though this is about a week or so, it does seem realistic given how the story is written.

2 out of 2 for this series. I loved this story and found it to be really unique. It was very "Clue" - like in the solving of the mystery at this house party and how the h/h team up to solve it. Their attraction was immediate but their ultimate coupling was a very slow, methodical one and I loved it. Then when it happened, there was no going back. I like when the hero is more affected as well - that's always nice for a change. I will be reading more and more of Katharine Ashe and will be eagerly awaiting the third book in this series!

Don't you just love the cover - beautiful!

Advanced Reader Copy provided by Edelweiss