The Escape Artist Book Blog

Books are my escape...I need it. My life is super busy between working full time, being a mom of 2 super social kids, a traveling husband, and an annoying habit of not being able to say "No".

theescapeartist

A Matter of Sin is Amazing!

A Matter of Sin (The Ladies Book of Pleasures) - Jess Michaels

A Matter of Sin – Jess Michaels

The Ladies Book of Pleasures, Book 1

The widowed Lady Isabel Avenbury has one remaining younger sister to shepherd into an advantageous marriage, and then she will be free. Free to take a lover to fill her lonely nights—the only option left for a woman on the delicate edge of a certain age.

Except when she chaperones her sister to a country house party, she is taken aback by her sudden, undeniable attraction to the host. And deliciously scandalized when she finds a copy of the notorious, much-gossiped-about Ladies Book of Pleasures in his library.

When Seth Rowland, Marquis Lyndham, notices his book is missing, his interest is piqued as to which of the potential young brides at his party has absconded with it—and he’s shocked to discover it’s Isabel. Though older than the women he’d planned to court, the powerful beauty exudes a sensuality he cannot ignore.

The book inspires them to begin a desperate, passionate affair. But their time together is running out and they must choose. Follow society’s rules, or take a chance at love.

Warning: Found within are highly scandalous books that trigger passionate desires, surrender in the orangery and possibly true love.

This is one of my favorite books of 2014 and now by Jess Michaels. I have read books of hers before and they are wonderfully sensual and erotic. Most of the ones I have read of hers involve courtesans and that’s not my favorite storyline. So reading this one that has a widowed lady as the central heroine was refreshing and right up my alley.

Also, hard not to fall in love with the hero, Seth Rowland, myself as well. He is a hardworking and responsible Lord whose (unfortunate) time has come to pick a wife and not just any wife, but one with good hips for breeding. It’s really insulting that these women are only being evaluated on whether they can reproduce, but I digress. His mother is driving the bus and has set up a house party for Seth to meet all the eligible breeding-aged ladies and Isabel Avenbury is a chaperone for her sister. As you can imagine, it’s scandalous that Seth is really only interested in Isabel.

It’s a mutual attraction and an affair begins, albeit reluctantly by Isabel as she has high standards of propriety. This affair and their developing love for each other is what makes this story amazing. The intimate scenes sizzle and Isabel discovers what passion can be like since her previous marriage was not as passionate, nor was she married to a tall drink of water like Seth. He is super sexy and I love his confidence and desire to educate Isabel without it seeming like an education. They are almost caught several times and it is not helped that they quickly fall for each other.

What I also liked was that both of these characters were strong. Isabel is no wilting lily yet not abrasive or hysterical. She gracefully handles conflict which comes mainly from Seth’s mother. Seth also finds he has to stand up and defend his actions and Isabel’s to his best friend and his mother.

I will re-read this one again. And probably again. It is so well written and delicious. There wasn’t anything I didn’t like! Just make sure you don’t have much to do because you won’t want to put it down.