The Escape Artist Book Blog

Books are my escape...I need it. My life is super busy between working full time, being a mom of 2 super social kids, a traveling husband, and an annoying habit of not being able to say "No".

theescapeartist

No Words for Love and Other Words

Well I have taken a while to digest this so that I can write an articulate review. This wasn't the usual Christina Lauren book which have been more contemporary/new adult romance. Reading their Author's Note, this is actually their first "Women's Fiction" book and I have to say it's deeper but still has the witty flair that makes their characters so easy to like.

It has a steady and powerfully slow build made all the more interesting by the switching of periods between Then and Now. Elliott and Macy have a boy/girl-next-door-first-love that isn't told that often from the perspective of how they are now as adults. The story starts with their lives today and a chance meeting for us to find out they haven't seen or spoken to each other in eleven years. Elliott seems to be the only one out of the two of them that has it somewhat together, but Macy, while professionally successful, is a mess emotionally. To see how their reunion progresses is interesting, funny and frustrating.

I spent the entire time trying to figure out why they lost contact and then I didn't want to know because I knew it had to have been something awful. They have such a sweet friendship as kids and it is told gradually. The authors do such a great job of capturing that time, their innocence and developing attraction. Juxtaposed with their interaction now and the people they are in present time, it is such a creative way of developing characters that it keeps you turning the page.

I try to avoid sad books - hello, "Escape Plan". But I've come to enjoy these authors' writing so much that I didn't want to miss reading a new release. It is wonderful. Sad but not. Worth every page.

Source: http://Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren My rating: 5 of 5 stars Well I have taken a while to digest this so that I can write an articulate review. This wasn't the usual Christina Lauren book which have been more contemporary/new adult romance. Rea