The Escape Artist Book Blog

Books are my escape...I need it. My life is super busy between working full time, being a mom of 2 super social kids, a traveling husband, and an annoying habit of not being able to say "No".

theescapeartist

What a Lady Craves - Review

What a Lady Craves - Ashlyn Macnamara

Henrietta Upperton is about to marry Alexander Sanford, when he rushes off to India to salvage his family’s fortune. Then comes the devastating news that he has wed another. Eight agonizing years later, a storm washes Alexander ashore—injured, widowed, and hunted—and one glimpse of his ruggedly handsome face reawakens the desire Henrietta thought she had buried deep inside. Her body still yearns for his touch, but she’s determined not let him wound her again . . . not this time.

For Alexander, honor always comes first. But only now does he realize that when given the choice between two virtuous deeds, he picked the wrong one. On the run with his life in tatters and a pair of daughters in tow, Alexander burns for Henrietta. He knows he does not deserve forgiveness. And yet he longs to wrap his arms around her warm body once again. What’s more, he is sure the lady craves the same.

You know the hard thing with these stories sometimes is that if everyone just sat down and had a long conversation everything would be worked out. But then of course there wouldn’t be a book.

This story starts out with an amazing coincidence and that is that Heniretta has become the companion of Alexander’s aunt and when he returns from India, finally after 8 years, he goes directly to his aunt’s house - well he was rescued and taken there after his ship wrecked on the beach, but still. There is no advance word given and Henrietta cannot believe her luck.

It is soon discovered that Alexander has children from a woman he married, and the mother is dead. Henrietta hasn’t heard from Alexander in 8 long years and was effectively jilted and became unmarriageable. Alexander had written her however, and is surprised Henrietta is so mad at him. Unfortunately, he cannot set her straight because of a promise he made to keep the truth a secret. This really complicates things.

There was a lot of intrigue, suspense, and frustration at the way this story continued. I like a story that has more than the romantic aspect. A good mystery is always fun and this was one in which I had no clue as to where it was going. I could figure out only one thing but even still not the entire circumstances. That was all good, but the frustrating part was with Henrietta and how she made her desire of Alexander known, yet could not tell him what she ultimately wanted, or craved as the title suggests. It was a classic example of a woman wanting a man to read her mind and he was completely at a loss!

An honorable mention must be made of a secondary character with a lot of character - Ablemarle. All books should have a character such as this.

All around though, I enjoyed reading this book and would read more of Ashley Macnamara. I look forward to reading more of her books, and the second one in this series soon.

My thanks to Netgalley for the ARC in exchange for my honest review.

Source: http://www.goodreads.com/angcartwright